Twenty years of past experiences on working with children encourages ECCA-Nepal to conceptualize "Support-a-Child" campaign. ECCA Nepal initiated this campaign to increase school enrollment rate and reduce drop out rate through care, support and build up competencies of children. The campaign encourages all individuals and organizations to care for and protect children's rights to be educated and to support for establishing learning environment in the school.
- To increase school enrollment and reduce drop out rate through improving school environment and education standards.
- To mobilize resources to care, support and build up competencies of children.
- To promote partnership amongst individuals and different organizations by adding value in their "Social Responsibility" practices.
- To support and achieve Millennium Development Goals.
'Educate-a-Child' program encourages direct support to individual students. Those who are financially backward need financial support to continue their study and acquire educational materials.
Kind of Support
- Scholarship for tuition fee
- Providing and acquiring educational materials (text books, uniform, shoes, school bag, copy and pen)
- Opportunity for the student to participate in different capacity development activities
Scholarship package for individual student which include all materials and tuition fee costs Rs 3000 to Rs 4500 per year. Approximate amount require for acquiring different educational materials and tuition fee for scholarship is as follows;
|1||Stationary Materials (School Bag, Copy, Pen, Ink,
|2||School Dress (Uniform and Shoe)||900/-|
|3||Tuition Fee||600- to 2000/-||Community Schools charge certain amount with students as tuition fee although it is said to be free. The fee structure is different as per rule of school.|
|4||Text book||500/- to 600/-||Text books up to grade 8 is provided free by the government.|
'School-to-School' is a simple concept of turning someone's wastage into a resource for another. Normally students don't even have a pencil or copy to write on. A bag, school uniform, mats for sitting are a distant dream. The idea is to motivate urban schools and students to donate the material they discard at the end of the annual term as every year when they move to the next class.
Kind of Support
- Old books,
- Educational materials
- School bags
Supporting a school aims to maintain good school environment and education standard. Lack of good school environment, educational materials and other facilities- such as health care, school meals and transport also compel students to drop out from the school. To discourage the drop outs, we must think of a child-friendly school and availability of good quality education.
Kind of Support
- Health care services
- School meals
- Clean and hygienic sanitation
- Safe drinking water
- Education materials
- Trainings and support for extra activities
- Building school friendly environment (greenery, playground, students friendly classrooms)
- Educational equipment
- A vital role to make the campaign 'Education-for-ALL' and achieve MDGs successfully
- It inspires and motivates children for school attendance and punctuality. It helps to decrease drop out rate and encourages student to build their brighter future.
- Even a small help can bring lots of changes in the school which will ultimately benefit to children and through children the community themselves.
- To play bridge role to link required resources to the place where it is necessary for fulfillment of the basic need of schools and students.
- To listen and share with children about their educational excitement, educational problems, school environment and their personal problems.
- To increase the participation of minority caste in public and education life.
- To listen and share with children about their educational excitement, educational, problems, school environment and their personal problems.
- To add up more energy to set up better environment in the school and welfare of the students.
- To have better educated society for yourself and your next generation
- To appreciate our social responsibility toward others.
- The students will be part of the major focus.
- The school community comprising teacher, guardian and school management committee will have to be responsible for monitoring.
- The community and its `elected' local bodies who have to provide working environment.
- There should be the local partners who will usually be individual professionals, school, organizations, cooperates and business firms. They will provide resources (cash or in kind) in times of need.
- The Environmental Camps for Conservation Awareness (ECCA) and "Support-a-Child" campaign team is the key agency providing the needed software support.
ECCA Nepal has been running its program in different parts of Nepal since 1987. ECCA is taking improving school environment as an organizational vision and strategy. ECCA Nepal has been successful in establishing a link with many government and private schools of urban and a rural area so far through school environment improvement program.
There are many programs such as events, charity program, one day program, small money collection, individual contribution etc which can generate surplus amount for the 'Support-a-Child' fund.
Partnership with different organizations and business firms could be made for regular or long term support. Partnership can be developed for sharing the benefits among all parties.
Sponsorship is the support provided for particular student and school. Individual or institution who is willing to sponsor, could provide scholarship or other support for particular student or school.
- Communication - ECCA Nepal will publish profile of potential schools of urban and rural area where such facilities are lacking or need maintenance. It will be circulated through web-site, e¬mails and interested supporter have option to choose from the list
- Ideal time - All season is appropriate for these support if it does not affect the regular school calendar. New session starts in mid-April in all schools of Nepal. Prior to the new session is the most appropriate time to provide scholarship program to students.
- Interaction - If necessary, ECCA Nepal will arrange site visit or interaction with school management. Supporter also could be provided with profile of the school.
- Agreement - Agreement amongst ECCA Nepal, respective school and supporter will be signed up prior to implement of the program.
- Follow up and monitoring - During and after the program, ECCA Nepal will regularly follow up and monitor the progress. Record of the progress along with relevant photographs will be posted in the website. ECCA Nepal will facilitate to build linkage between supporter and school.
- Transparency - ECCA Nepal will provide financial as well as final report of the program to all relevant people through different medium maintaining all kinds of transparency.
- List of Scholarship 2012
- List of Scholarship 2011
- List of Scholarship 2010
- List of Scholarship 2009
- List of Scholarship 2008
- List of Scholarship 2007
To Support a Child click here | Support a Child through Global Giving US | Support a Child through Global Giving UK