Environmental Camps for Conservation Awareness (ECCA) has been a leading organization in the sector of social mobilization and community development. It implements various programmes so as to raise the quality of life through wise-use of available local resources and application of alternate and renewable technologies.
- ECCA was established in 1987 as a non profit, non political, non government organization.
- ECCA is registered in Government of Nepal, District Administration Office, Kathmandu and affiliated with Social Welfare Council, Kathmandu.
- ECCA Constitution enables trained members to vote for a policy making body of 11 members.
- ECCA now has a network of over 4,000 trained manpower in 46 districts of Nepal and few places of Bhutan and India.
- ECCA pioneered the concept of children nature club (in Nepal) in 1992.
- ECCA was the first NGO to establish a paper-recycling unit (named Pap Again) in 1994 with the objective of producing recycled paper from the waste paper collected from office, schools, press, etc.
- ECCA Head Office was shifted to its newly constructed building in Kopundol, Lalitpur on March 14, 2004 (Chaitra 1, 2060).
- Awards :
- 1991, first NGO to be awarded CITATION (for conservation awareness) by Government of Nepal
- 1993, ‘Spirit of Enterprise’ (for ECCA’s unique methodology), International Rolex Award
- 2001, ‘Environment Award and Cash Prize’, Ministry of Population and Environment, Government of Nepal
- 2005, Global Development Marketplace (for Solar Tuki), World Bank, Washington DC, USA
- 2007, Global Development Marketplace Photography Contest, World Bank, Washington DC
- 2007, Tech Museum Awards (category Economic Development) (for Solar Tuki), The Tech Museum of Innovation, California, USA
- 2008, Nepal Development Marketplace (for safe-drinking-water campaign)
- 2008, Global Development Marketplace Amateur Video Contest, World Bank, Washington DC
- ECCA shall be a Professional Volunteer Organization dedicated towards securing sound ecological future.
- ECCA shall support the development of conservation related entrepreneurship.